National Institute of Metrology (Thailand)(NIMT)
National Metrology System is the infrastructure on science and technology which plays an important role on assuring the accuracy of measuring results as well as being the basis of accreditation activities such as ISO 9000, ISO/IEC 17025, and ISO 14000. Thus, metrology system is an important infrastructure to support and enhance the potential in production and trade competition to move stably in the international trade forum.
National Institute of Metrology (Thailand) (NIMT) established by National Metrology System Development Act., B.E. 2540 since June 1, 1998 as a public agency under the supervision of Ministry of Science and Technology. The mission is to develop the national measurement standards to be recognized internationally and to disseminate the measuring accuracy to Thai community.
- Calibration Service: NIMT provides calibration services to calibration laboratories and industrial sectors in order that their measuring equipment are traceable to national and international standards. Calibration services provided are Length, Electrical, Time and Frequency, Pressure and Vacuum, Mass, Force and Torque, Density, Volume and Flow, Acoustics and Vibration, Thermometry, and Chemical.
- Training and Seminars: NIMT continually organizes training and seminar in metrology both theoretical and practical for calibration laboratories and industrial sectors in order to enhance metrology knowledge and skills.
- Consulting Services: NIMT provides consulting services which is an activity to enhance calibration capability to Calibration Laboratories, Industrial and Economic Sectors.
- Information Services: NIMT provides information services in terms of calibration techniques and services, and new technical provision to the public
NIMT to Quality System “ISO/IEC 17025” and “ISO 9001:2000”
- ISO/IEC 17025 (standard used by testing and calibration laboratories)
NIMT has been developing its laboratories to the quality system on ISO/IEC 17025 continuously and received an accreditation on such system from the international recognized accreditation body which advantages to NIMT and its national metrology system development in overall, for examples:
- Products and services produced by the measuring and testing equipment calibrated and traceable to NIMT will be globalization accepted and trusted.
- Thai calibration laboratories and industrial sector will be confident in the accuracy of standards disseminated by NIMT.
- ISO 9001:2000 (standard for quality management system)
NIMT uses the Quality System Management according to ISO 9001:2000 to execute and manage its works on calibration services and training by developing its services system follow to ISO 9001:2000 and has been accredited by Management System Certification Institute (Thailand) (MASCI) since October 10, 2004.
NIMT and International Recognition on Measurement Capability (Calibration and Measurement Capability)
NIMT, not only receives an accreditation on Quality System per ISO/IEC 17025, but also was recognized by Bureau International des Poids et Mesures (BIPM) to post the Calibration and Measurement Capabilities (CMCs) on BIPM’s Website (www.bipm.org) in Appendix C of Global MRA for 4 parameters Electrical, Mass, Pressure, and Temperature.
Both accreditation on Quality System and the recognition on the Calibration and Measurement Capability are important to the national metrology system development of Thailand.
- Metrology Part
Metrology Part is responsible for measurement techniques by the procuring, developing, maintaining national standards, and implementing the laboratories according to ISO/IEC 17025 and disseminating the accuracy of measurement to secondary calibration laboratories. Metrology Part is divided into 7 departments; namely Mechanical, Electrical, Dimension, Thermometry, Chemical Metrology and Biometry, Acoustics and Vibration, and Photometry Metrology Department.
- Supporting Part
Supporting Department is mainly responsible for supporting works to Metrology Part by operating special projects follow to the National Metrology System Development Master Plan which is relevant to the objectives of the Institute establishment mentioned in the National Metrology System Development Act, B.E. 2540. The Supporting Part is divided into 4 Departments which are Policy and Strategy Department, Administrative Department, Information Technology Center, and Internal Auditor.